In this episode, Eve and Corinne discuss their experiences translating books and book-length projects, offering tips on how to find work translating books, how to fit books into your commercial translation workflow, and what you need to think about when negotiating book translation contracts. Links mentioned or that might be useful:
- Eve’s forthcoming translation of Animals at Night
- Corinne’s published book translations: Eve co-translated Dictionary of North American Indians and Other Indigenous Peoples and edited Learning to Love: ourselves and each other
- Lisa Carter’s literary translation blog Intralingo
- Corinne’s blog post on tips for frustrated literary translators
- The shortlist for the 2017 Boardman Tasker Award for Mountain Literature, including Corinne’s translation of Erhard Loretan and Jean Ammann’s Night Naked: a climber’s autobiography.
- The PEN model contract for literary translations
- The PEN list of translation-friendly publishers
Click the audio player link to listen online
Right-click the link below to download the MP3.
Chrome/Firefox: Choose “Save Link As”
Internet Explorer: Choose “Save target as”
Safari: Choose “Download Linked File”
So you want to translate books?