In this episode, Eve and Corinne discuss a favorite topic among translators: books, and what we’re reading: what genres we enjoy, how we make time for reading, how we choose new books, what formats we enjoy and don’t enjoy reading or listening to, how we track what we read, and book recommendations for our listeners!
Websites mentioned in this episode:
- Eve’s Global Reads book club
- Real Simple magazine’s best books of 2020, and 2021
- Letterfolk’s Book Passport (“another book in the books”)
- Boulder Book Store (our local, independent bookstore!)
- Librairie Gourmande, an all-cookbook bookstore in Paris
- Peppercorn, a cooking store that sells cookbooks in Boulder, Colorado
- The Tattered Cover, a large independent bookstore in Denver, Colorado
- The Read Queen bookstore and cafe in Lafayette, Colorado
- Articles on the closing of the iconic Paris bookstore Gibert Jeune, in English and in French
Our book recommendations (we are deliberately not including links, so that you can purchase them from the outlet of your choice!)
- Transformations: Harriet and Helena Scott, Colonial Sydney’s Finest Natural History Painters by Vanessa Finney
- Memorial Drive: A Daughter’s Memoir by Natasha Trethewey
- Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
- My Life in France by Julia Child
- Shady Characters: The Secret Life of Punctuation, Symbols, and Other Typographical Marks by Keith Houston
- This Close to Okay: A Novel by Leesa Cross-Smith
- It Would be Night in Caracas by Karina Sainz Borgo
- French Like Moi: A Midwesterner in Paris by Scott Dominic Carpenter
- Ultralearning: Master Hard Skills, Outsmart the Competition, and Accelerate Your Career by Scott H. Young
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- Humans, by Brandon Stanton
- The Translator, by Nina Schuyler
- Say Nothing, by Patrick Radden Keefe
- L’Arabe du futur/The Arab of the Future, by Riad Sattouf
- Wolf Hall, Bring Up the Bodies, and The Mirror and the Light (Henry VIII trilogy) by Hilary Mantel
- A Place of Greater Safety, by Hilary Mantel
- Icebound, by Andrea Pitzer
- Good Words Fast, by Oliver Dirs
- Pancakes in Paris, by Craig Carlson
- All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr
Listen on the audio player below, or subscribe to Speaking of Translation on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Stitcher.
Download the audio file here.
Nice post and I really enjoyed the podcast. I think that every freelance translator should read a lot.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!!
Pingback: Listen up! Top language industry podcasts - Living Word